|T A N K S||C A R R I E R S||A R M O U R E D C A R S|
Involuntary shed renovations 1 (Ver 1)
Sometimes things just go wrong.......
I was driving my Greyhound out of my shed when the right hand side shed door managed to delatch itself from its hold open catch. I knew nothing until there was a loud tearing noise, I immediately hit the brakes. Although I wasn't going very fast, it still took 3 feet to react and stop the vehicle.
When I climbed out, there was the 5'wide by 12' high timber and corrugated iron door sitting at about a 50° angle and only just holding by its bottom hinge, but very firmly wedged against the Greyhound.
A closer inspection showed that when it had swung loose it had been caught by the front of the mine stowage rack on the Greyhound and become trapped as the vehicle moved forward.
I then got back into the vehicle and moved it back just far enough for me to free the door and lay it back vertical (heavy and awkward). Then put the vehicle back in the shed again.
The damage to the Greyhound was nothing more than a 3" long scratch in the paintwork; but was much more to my shed. Not only was the top and centre hinge screws torn from the door stile, but the stile had been torn from the bressamer beam over the door opening. So first job was to get the stile back into position and re-attached to the bressamer and to make a new packing piece from a piece of timber that hadn't been torn in half! This done it was then time to manhandle the door back into the correct position, lever it up to the correct pivot height and re-attach the hinges with much bigger screws as the originals no longer fitted the holes.
All up there was about 2 1/2 hours work in it.
Just as I finished one of my mates showed up - impeccable timing!
I didn't have a camera handy so there is no picture.
Needless to say, there is now a much more secure way of keeping that door open.
Some days it is better to stay in bed.
BACK TO INDEX