LOCATION: Madhya Pradesh AREA: 2,362.08 kmē VILLAGES: 454 (1881) POPULATION: 158,834 (1931) RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 14,33,000 (1934) DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Bundela PRIVY PURSE: Rs 1,54,300SEAT: xx ACCESSION: 1st January 1950
AGENCY: Bundelkhand Agency 1902 - 1948
PRESENT RULER: HH Maharaja Lokendra RAJENDRA SINGH Ju Dev Bahadur, 13th Maharaja of Datia since October 2006.
PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: The state was founded in 1626 and it came under British control, with other territories in Bundelkhand, by the Treaty of Bassein, concluded with the Peshwa in 1802. The ancient title of the family was Maharaja Rao Raja, but in 1865, the Government recognised only the title of Maharaja as hereditary. The Maharaja maintains a military force of 945 cavalry, 5203 infantry, and 124 guns, and he is entitled to a salute of 15 guns (in 1893). The motto of the family is Wir dalap Sharandah ("Lord of the Brave Army, Giver of Refuge"). Rulers were...
- Rao BHAGWAN RAO, 1st Rao of Datia and Baroni 1626/1656, he received Datia and Baroni from his father (Raja Bir Singh Deo of Orchha) in 1626 and established his own state; married and had issue. He died 1656.
- Rao Subha Karan (qv)
- Thakur Prithvi Raj, married and had issue.
- Thakur Chhatar Sal, he was granted the Jagir of Baroni, married and had issue.
- Rao SUBHA KARAN, 2nd Rao of Datia 1656/1683, married and had issue. He died 1683.
- Rao Dalpat Singh (qv) Thakur (name unknown) Singh, married and had issue, the Thakur Sahebs of Baroni.
- Rao DALPAT SINGH, 3rd Rao of Datia 1683/1706 (#2), married and had issue.
- Rao Ramchandra Singh (qv)
- Thakur Prithvi Singh, he was granted the estate of
- Rao RAMCHANDRA SINGH, 4th Rao of Datia 1706/1733, married and had issue. He died 1733.
- Thakur Ram Singh, married Rani Sitaju, and had issue.
- Thakur Guman Singh, married and had issue.
- Rao Indrajit Singh (qv)
- Thakur Umed Singh
- Thakur Narayanju
- Rao INDRAJIT SINGH, 5th Rao of Datia 1733/1762, married and had issue.
- Rao Shatrujit Singh (qv)
- Rao SHATRUJIT SINGH, 6th Rao of Datia 1762/1801 (#3), married and had issue.
- Raja Parichhat Singh (qv)
- Raja PARICHHAT SINGH,
7th Raja of Datia 1801/1839, he allied himself with the
British throughout the subsequent wars with the Mahrattas; and
was rewarded in 1817, on the deposition of the Peshwa, by a
new treaty and enlarged territories, later he was granted the
title of Raja sometime in the 1820's, married and had adoptive
issue. He died sp in
- Raja BIJAI SINGH Bahadur, 8th Raja of Datia 1839/1857, born 1826, married 1sty, Senior Rani, died 1858, married 2ndly, Junior Rani, and had illegitimate issue as well as adoptive issue. He died spl in 1857.
- Kunwar Arjun Singh, favoured for adoption as successor by the Junior Rani, he briefly contested the succession after his father's death.
- (A) HH Maharaja
Lokendra Sir Bhawani Singh Bahadur (qv)
- HH Maharaja Lokendra Sir BHAWANI SINGH Bahadur K.C.S.I., 9th Maharaja of Datia 1857/1907, born 13th August 1846 (1854 #1), he succeeded by adoption on 20th November 1857, he belonged to the Bhasnai branch of the Orchha Royal Family, descended from Kunwar Har Singh Deo, brother of Raja Bir Singh Deo of Orchha, the title of Maharaja was recognized as hereditary on 4th August 1865, and on 1st January 1877, at the Imperial Assemblage at Delhi, in honour of the Proclamation of Her Most Gracious Majesty as Empress of India, the additional title of Lokendra was granted (#6 p.43), he enjoyed a personal gun salute of 19 which was granted on 1st January 1906, married and had issue, one son. He died 4th August 1907 (#4).
- Hon. Lt.-Col. HH Maharaja Lokendra Sir Govind Singh Ju Dev Bahadur (qv)
- Hon. Lt.-Col. HH Maharaja Lokendra Sir GOVIND SINGH Ju Dev Bahadur G.C.I.E., K.C.S.I., 10th Maharaja of Datia 1907/1951, born 22nd June 1886 (#5)(#6 p.120), he succeeded his father to the gadi on 5th August 1907 (#6 p.36), he was appointed Honorary Major in the British Army in September 1926; Vice President of the St John Ambulance Association and Patron of the Red Cross Society, Vice Patron of the Girl Guide Association; Member of the Cricket Club of India; he was promoted to the Honorary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the Army in May 1937; he was made a K.C.S.I. on 1st January 1918, and a G.C.I.E. on 3rd June 1932; married 1stly, in March 1902 (#6 p.120), a daughter of Thakur Randhir Singh, the Dhandera Jagirdar of Manpur in Gwalior, she died before 1930, married 2ndly, a daughter of Thakore Sahib of Sayla, married 3rdly, a daughter of the Thakur of Sauara in Datia, and had issue. He died 1951.
- HH Maharaja Lokendra Balbhadra Singh Ju Dev Bahadur (by 1st marriage) (qv)
- Maharajkumari Roop Devi, married Raja Virendra Shah Ju Deo of Jagmanpur, and had issue.
- Raja Jashwant Singh (by 2nd marriage), born in October 1926 (#6 p.44), married and had issue.
- Raja Mahendra Pratap Singh Ju Dev, married Rani Bhawana Raje Sahiba, daughter of Lt. Dr. Maharajkumar Basant Narain Singh of Ramgarh, and his wife, Maharajkumarani Vijaya Raje, and has issue.
- Rajkumar Prithvi Singh Ju Dev, married Rajkumari
Srikala Devi, only daughter of Raja Jitamitra Singh Deo
of Khariar, and his
wife, Rani Rajshree Devi, and has issue, one son.
- Raja Rajendra Pratap Singh Ju Dev, married Rani Savitri Singh Sahiba of Ata-Paraspur, Dist. Gonda, and has issue.
- Rajkumar Shivam Pratap Singh Ju Dev
- Rajkumari Shalini Singh, married Kunwar Jitendra Singh
of Marwatia, Dist. Basti, U.P.
- HH Maharaja Lokendra BALBHADRA SINGH Ju Dev Bahadur, 11th Maharaja of Datia 1951/1978 , born 1907, married 1stly, a daughter of Maharaja Bhagwati Prasad Singh, Taluqdar of Balrampur in Oudh, married 2ndly, and had issue. He died 29th March 1978.
- HH Maharaja Lokendra Krishan Singh Ju Dev Bahadur (qv)
- Maharajkumar Balram Singh, born 28th March 1931, married Maharajkumari Urmila Kumari, daughter of HH Maharawat Sir Ram Singhji II Bahadur of Pratapgarh, born 1937.
- Maharajkumar (name unknown) Singh [aka Chhote Raja], born 29th April 1933.
- Maharajkumari Krishna Kumari, born 6th January 1926,
- Maharajkumari Saraswati Devi, born 13th January 1930,
- Maharajkumari Madhu Devi, she married Raja Birojesh Chandra Deo Dhabal Dev, present Raja Saheb of Dhalbhum and Jamboni, and has issue, two sons.
- HH Maharaja Lokendra
KRISHAN SINGH Ju Dev Bahadur, 12th Maharaja of Datia
1978/2006, born 29th December 1928 (#6
p.43), married HH Maharani Taj Kumari, daughter of
Col. HH Raj Rishi Shri Sawai Maharaja Sir Jai Singhji Virendra
Shiromani Dev Bharat Dharam Prabhakar G.C.S.I., G.C.I.E., 7th
Maharaja of Alwar, and had
issue. He died October 2006.
- HH Maharaja Lokendra Rajendra Singh Ju Dev Bahadur (qv)
- Maharajkumar Harishchandra Singh, former Joint Director C.B.I., married Rani Uma Kumari, daughter of Thakur Gulab Singh of Siriyari, and his wife, Thakurani Hem Kanwar, and has issue.
- Rajkumar Taruraj Dev
- Maharajkumar Ghanshyam Singh, former Member of the Legislative Assembly in Madhya Pradesh, President of the Datia District Congress Committee, married and has issue.
- Rajkumari Ksheerja Kumari [Rani Ksheerja Kumari of Baghal], married January 2008,Rajkumar Harvashvardhan Singh [now Raja Harvashvardhan Singh of Baghal], son of Tikka Pramod Singh of Baghal, and his wife, Tikka Rani Poornima Devi, and has issue, one daughter.
- Maharajkumari Gayatri Kumari [now Rajmata Gayatri Kumari of Khilchipur], married 20th May 1970, Raja Rao Bahadur Bhartendra Singhji of Khilchipur, and has issue.
- Rani Sahib Gargi Devi, married Rao Harshvardhan Singh of Vijayanagar.
- HH Maharaja Lokendra RAJENDRA SINGH Ju Dev Bahadur, 13th Maharaja of Datia (see above)
- Kumari Prabha Devi, married Rajkumar Ranvijay Singh of Koti in Himachal Pradesh, born 1946, died 14th January 1996, and has issue, two daughters.
- Shri Raghunath Singh of Nandigaon, a relative of HH the Maharaja of Datia, fl.1924.
- Maharaj Brijraj Singh Judeo, married Rajkumari Meenakshi Kumari, born 1965, daughter of Maharaj Shri Rameshwar Singhji, Raja of Multhan, and his 2nd wife, Kusum Kumari.